08 November 2007

Tea and Jane (or, what happened when I joined Ravelry)

I joined Ravelry in September, and over the past almost-two months, I've joined 15 sub-groups. The two that I'm most active in are Cup'a Tea and Austentatious Fiber Artists.

Earlier this week I sent out a package of stuff for my Tea-swap pal. Having no idea whether she reads this blog, I won't give any details, except to say that it was a lot of fun to put together, and also very difficult to stick to the $40 limit. But I managed (just barely) and am anxiously awaiting notice that she's received it. It probably goes without saying that I'm anxiously awaiting my package, but, there, I've said it anyway.

The Austentatious group is for Jane-ites, which I have been ever since I read my first Austen novel, which was Emma, for a BritLit class in my first year of university. Since then, I've read and reread the Austen oeuvre many times.

It was a some years ago that I discovered the "spin-offs". I think the first one I read was Pemberley, and soon after, Jane Fairfax, both of which I enjoyed. Off and on, through the years I've found a few more, like The Jane Austen Book Club.

But recently, it seems that every other book I come across is an Austen sequel or spin-off, especially since I joined the Austentatious forum on Ravelry. In the past couple of months, I've read the enjoyable
Jane Austen in Scarsdale, about a 30something high school guidance counselor who reconnects with her first love,
Austenland, where the heroine is given a vacation at a Jane Austen theme park,
Me and Mr. Darcy (reviewed earlier this month), about a bookseller who goes to England for the Christmas.

I've also read the implausible
Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, about a young woman who falls asleep in modern-day Los Angeles and wakes up in Regency England, and
The Man who Loved Jane Austen, about a young woman who discovers some letters that might have been written by Jane tucked into an antique dressing table.

I'm currently reading Vanity and Vexation. Still on my TBR pile are Jane Austen in Boca, and Pride, Prejudice and Jasmin Field.

I'll stop now, and spare you the Austen-ish books on my TBR list, as well as the movies I've seen and want to see.....

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:48 PM

    Your tea swapper would like you to know that the package is still in progress, but will be out by the end of the week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. That works out well, since I won't get back until Saturday.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...