25 June 2008

Anxiety

It's been a rough few days in the Beebe household.
My father-in-law, who lives in Albuquerque, was scheduled to go into hospital on Monday for an angioplasty. There were some complications and the doctors were forced to do an emergency bypass.

There was some telephone tag before my husband finally reached me (I was on the way to work at the time he called and my cell phone battery was dead). I worked late shift at the library, and didn't get home until just after 8 p.m., and when I walked in the door he informed me that he and his brother would be heading to ABQ on the 6 a.m. flight.

None of us slept much that night. Even Nacht was anxious. Tod and I were both awake before his alarm went off at 3 a.m. My sister-in-law was driving them to the airport, and after I saw them off I tried to get some sleep. I may have dozed a little, but I was awake when Tod called to tell me they'd arrived in ABQ.
I didn't go to work, and waited anxiously for Tod to call with an update. When I finally heard that my FIL was awake and lucid, I was able to get some rest.

I slept well last night, from sheer exhaustion, I think.

Tod's dad is doing much better today, and Tod and his brother will be returning home tonight.

It's an unfortunate thing that people our age have to deal with: aging parents who may be in poor health. And it's even more difficult to deal with when they live some distance away, like Tod's dad and my parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...