31 August 2009

Just finished reading...

Secondhand Spirits by Juliet Blackwell.

This is the first book in a new series by Juliet Blackwell (aka Hailey Lind, author of The Art Lover's mystery series).

Lily Ivory has always felt like an outsider because of her "special talents". But she finally gives in to her desire to settle down and belong when she opens a vintage clothing store in San Francisco, thinking that her eccentricities won't seem quite so weird in the Haight-Ashbury area.

Invited to look at a large collection owned by an elderly woman, Lily is thrilled, until she senses deep sorrow emanating from some of the clothes. When she hears the shriek of La Llorona, and a neighbourhood child disappears, she realizes she must do something to return the child to her family, and that will put both her and her friends into extreme danger.

This book is very different from any supernatural mystery that I've read. Blackwell draws on real myths and legends, and her research into the mystical is obviously extensive. Reading this book in bed at night I was a little spooked, not my usual reaction to a paranormal mystery.

Lily is really a sympathetic character: her fears of being different and ostracized are universal. I look forward to learning more about her as the series progresses, though I'll have to wait nearly a year for the next in the series, A Cast-off Coven.

2 comments:

  1. Loved Secondhand Spirits, Marlyn! You're right. This one was very different, and I have to respect Juliet for all of the research she must have put into it. Even so, it didn't bog down in details. It was all relevant, and interesting.

    Terrific book, with great characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think you and I have very similar reading taste, Marlyn. It's interesting to read your take on books, and see what I might have missed.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...