23 December 2011

My favorite books of 2011, Part One

I know there'a still a week left in the year, but I'm going to take a chance and list my five of my ten favorites of all the books I've read this year. (I haven't counted how many I've read in total.) The books aren't all mysteries, there are some YA and other fiction as well.

Here they are, alphabetically by author:

Cantrell, Rebecca. A Game of Lies (Hannah Vogel #3).

In my review of July 5, I said:
Cantrell writes from Hannah's point of view in the first person, describing Hannah's experiences so vividly that the reader can almost identify with her completely. The "almost" is a result of the many instances when the reader wants to caution her against something she's decided upon, but of course this is what makes the narrative into a story.


Diffenbaugh, Vanessa. The Language of Flowers.

From my review of October 25:
Diffenbaugh's prose is astonishing. This is one of those books where the reader is torn between wanting to know what happens and reading slowly in order to appreciate her communication using the written word while she teaches us the language of flowers.


Hamilton, Denise. Damage Control.

From my Crime Fiction Collective review, September 5:
Ms. Hamilton skilfully describes Maggie's reactions to sights, sounds, and smells to increase the already strong empathy the reader has with her through the first-person point of view. We become so attuned to Maggie's senses and emotions that we can almost feel the heat of the sun on her arms, the dizziness caused by watching a record spinning on a turntable.

Harrington, Laura. Alice Bliss.

From my review of June 8:
...mostly we live and breathe through Alice. We empathize with her as she wears one of her father's shirt to a rag, discovers the release of running and yearns to remember [his] voice and image.


King, Laurie R. The Pirate King (Russel and Holmes #11).
On CFC October 3.

I said:
This book is truly a delight. It will certainly be enjoyed by Mary Russell fans, and might even draw some more into the company.


I'll post the remainder of the list next Friday, December 30.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...