27 July 2006

Just finished reading...

Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read

Wow! What a great book. I picked this up because so many people on DorothyL had recommended it,. When I first started it, I was a little unsure, but after a couple of chapters, I was hooked.

The story, which takes place in 1988, is written from the point-of-view of 25-year-old Madline Dare, who is living in Syracuse, NY with her husband. Dean, her husband, is an inventor, but makes a living working for the railroads, which involves a lot of travelling. As a result, Madeline, a fledgling reporter, is left on her own a lot, and she broods about how lonely she is and how much she hates Syracuse.

Having lunch with Dean's family one day, she learns about the unsolved murder of two unknown young women at the NY State Fair twenty years earlier. She's interested, but not unduly so. Not until someone shows her what was found at the scene of the crime: a pair of army dogtags, which had belonged to her cousin. She's sure that her cousin is innocent, and sets out to prove that he was not involved.

Read is a gifted writer, and I look forward to reading more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...