13 July 2007

There's something about Harry...

Although I usually see the Harry Potter films on the day of release, it didn't work out that way this time, as it came out on Wednesday and I was scheduled to work. As a result I didn't see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix until today. (Now that I think about it, Friday the 13th is an appropriate date for it.) Great film. I loved almost everything about it. I'll try to review it without giving away too much (although we've all already read the book, right?)

Susan and I decided to go to a morning show, expecting that it would be easier to get into than later ones. Susan bought tickets on Fandango, and we arranged to meet an hour before the movie's start time. There was hardly anyone there, and the theatre wasn't barely half full of what seemed to be mostly adults. But it's showing 33 times a day (Susan counted) at one complex, so I expect only evening and weekend shows will be crowded. Anyway....

The movie followed the book pretty closely, but of course couldn't be exact due to time issues.
The character of Luna Lovegood was (I think) expanded quite a bit, and I really liked Evanna Lynch's portrayal. Imelda Staunton was perfect as Umbridge, as was Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. I would have liked to see much more of Sybil Trelawney and Nymphadora Tonks, but compressing an 896 page novel into less than 2.5 hours means some things have to go.

It was a most satisfying experience. The director's personality didn't break my concentration, as had happened with Prisoner of Azkaban, so I felt completely a part of the story.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...