28 August 2007

Just finished reading....

Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler.

Courtney Stone wakes up one morning and finds that she's transported through time to the early 1800s, and become an English gentlewoman. As Jane Mansfield (20th century allusion intended), she's a 30ish single woman who lives with her parents. Courtney has no idea how this happened, and is desperate to return to her life as a young woman in present-day Los Angeles, with all the advantages of freedom (and hygiene) that the 21st century affords.

However, she appears to be stuck in Jane's body, and must behave as if she is Jane, even though she has no idea who Jane is.

I loved time-travel novels when I was younger, and read some wonderful ones: Charlotte Sometimes by Penelope Farmer, Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park, and later, Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. And I've always loved the novels of Jane Austen.

I found myself racing through this book (whose title really has nothing to do with the story), as it is easy to read and compelling. But somehow, at the end, I felt dissatisfied. It didn't seem to me that a great truth had been revealed, as it is with Austen's works.

But it's a fun read, and I thank Katie P. and the Gibsons for the birthday gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...