20 March 2009

Belated report: sightseeing in Hawai'i

I know, I know, I've been home almost a week, and I haven't posted photos of our trip. Apart from suffering from severe jet-lag, I've been very busy doing laundry and making actual home-cooked meals, and stuff like that.
The first couple of days we were in Waikoloa, it rained. Really rained. Hard.
So there wasn't really much sightseeing going on. On Tuesday, after my panel, Tod did some touring on his own, going to the lava flow near Hilo and north to Hawi.
Photobucket
Photobucket

On Wednesday afternoon, we went whale-watching.
Photobucket

Thursday, after LCC ended, we drove up through Hilo
Photobucket
Photobucket

and went to the lava flow again, just because he thought it was so cool I'd want to see it too. Along with a lot of other people, we walked about half a mile over rough, bumpy terrain to the shore.
Photobucket

Once we got to the shore, all we could see was a plume of smoke in the distance:
Photobucket

But after dark, it looked really cool! (Or do I mean hot?)
Photobucket

On Friday, we drove around the island in the opposite direction, and went to the caldera at Kilauea. The air was fairly thick with sulfur.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Saturday was our anniversary, so we went to dinner at a fabulous restaurant in Waimea to celebrate.
Photobucket

Sunday came all too soon, but after fighting the crowds at the Kona airport, and being jammed between Tod and a very large young man on the plane, I was happy to be home.





1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a nice trip. My brother lives on the island, over on the Kailua Kona side. We visited there two years ago and have a photo on the same bench at the caldera!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for dropping by and reading my blog. I do read all comments, and try to respond.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...